A Study From Victims Of Crime In Melbourne And Nearby Cities About The Criminal Justice System

A study had been done on how victims of crime in Melbourne and nearby cities rate the criminal justice system of the country. Whenever they get involved in the justice system, they feel the loss and get traumatised.

The study was done by a local victim support group and a local Melbourne university verifying the views and opinions of what victims of crime felt.  The researchers opted to have the victims participate in the second phase of the study through online survey. It gives them a better view of the victims’ experiences.

A specialist from the local university said that initial study proved many victims felt their rights and interests were removed or handled as a secondary concern in the criminal justice system. Victims weren’t really given adequate information about their case, were excluded from having a significant role, and not enquired about decisions, especially about charges presented to the offenders.

However, the specialist said some victims were happy with the news, as they have involved themselves in victim support services and gained positive experiences. They are also satisfied with how police officers interacted with them.

The specialist emphasised that the aim of the research was to enhance a blueprint to aid in the creation of treatment processes for the victims. He said that they wanted to know what victims felt and how their experiences with the interactions went well against the criminal justice system of the country.

The first phase of the study was participated by 107 people from Western Australia, South Australia and ACT. About 60% of them were victims of crime in Melbourne and nearby cities, while the remaining 40% had crimes affecting their family member or friend.

A representative from the victim support group added that the research aimed to help victims understand the criminal justice system in Australia and why they felt their needs weren’t met. People who were victims suffered various crime cases and had various views and experiences. Also, few baseless assumptions may have affected their legal and service policy developments.

The second phase of the study has just started, and the group of researchers are eager to hear from those aged 18 and above whowere once victims of crime in Melbourne and other cities close by. The interviews are done online and will take about 20 to 30 minutes to finish.

Share This: